Friday, March 27, 2009

Uhhh, whoops.


Ahh vicoden. How you lure me in with your sweet whispers. Promising me the unreachable. And for one day, we cruise together. All is well in the world, until the next morning, when I have to wake up after only getting 3 hours of sleep and I feel like a band of angry midgets are beating their way out of my head with dull icepicks. Anywhoo, on to sports.

Even though I am in a horrible haze today, the smile cannot and will not be removed from my face today. Duke is out of the NCAA tournament and all is right in the world. Nothing pleases me more then when I see the Coach K face of anger. His smirk is wonderful. The guy defines douche. There are a few teams that I just cannot stand in the sports world. Some are commonplace among fans. Duke is one of those teams. This is not just because I am a HUGE UNC fan. I have never liked Duke or any of their players. But the main reason I despise this team: Coach K.

What I am about to say is among one of my many statements that is sure to land me a place in hell. Back when Coach K got sick and left the team for a while, I actually cheered when I heard the report on SportsCenter. Now, I was younger and more arrogant and a complete sports nut,(I still am) but the satisfaction I got from laughing at the struggles of Duke was outstanding.

Another reason I am pleased is because I am fan of Philadelphia basketball. Villanova is a really good team and Jay Wright has been the perfect coach for this program. People outside of this city just cannot appreciate the awesome level of college basketball that is played here. There is so much history in these buildings it just screams to be discovered. If you live here, you know about it. You listen to stories, you see new history being written, basketball is a sacred thing. It is truly beautiful to be a part of. If you are a college basketball junkie, and I am, you have to make a trip here and check it out. One of the best venues ever is the Palestra. It is such a great place that words cannot describe it. Anyway, congrats to Nova. While I was hesitant to pick them over Duke in one of my pools, I am glad they moved on.

The Big East is far and away the best conference in college basketball. It's not even close. I have a rooting interest in a few teams in college sports and that's how it is. I love me some UNC, PSU, Texas and Pitt. I also root for all teams Philly and I love to see them succeed. College basketball in Philly is on the upswing. Fran Dunphy is bringing Temple back, Jay Wright has Nova rocking, John Giannini is bringing LaSalle up by HUGE leaps and bounds, Bruiser Flint has Drexel in games more then they should be, and Martelli is Martelli, St. Joes will always be dangerous. Penn will improve but you can only do so much when you cannot offer scholarships.

Anyway, congrats to the Philly squads for another great year. It's not over yet as Nova carries our banner. While I am sad to see the season go, the Phillies are the defending champs and the Flyboys could do some damage again. The NFL draft is coming and I cringe at another season of Andy Reid and Donny Mac. But my love for college basketball keeps me in check for now. Congrats Nova and coach Wright, you guys are great!

And Coach K, suck my ass. Douche.

3 comments:

  1. Damn, that's got to be one of most vivid descriptions of a headache I have ever heard. Excellent job KD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fuck Martelli and St. Joe's. He is a douche.

    /URI alum

    ReplyDelete