Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's almost time for real baseball and I am excited.

Can you feel it? Can you? Punk? It's almost time. Spring is here and baseball is back. Time for the Phillies to defend their World Series trophy. I have been lucky enough to see my two favorite teams, the White Sox and the Phils, win World Series while I am alive. The excitement that overcame this city was unreal. I hope to experience it again eventually.

The Phils come into this season with almost the same team intact. They subtracted Pat "The Bat" Burrell and added Raul Ibanez. I was never the biggest fan of Pat but there's no denying when he was on, he was unreal. the problem was, when he was off, he was waaaay off. Ibanez is a little more consistent, albeit older and a lefty, so he should do well in CB Park. The two concerns are his age and the fact he's another left handed bat in a lineup that has a plethora of lefties.

I will say that Pat was a class-act even when there were those of us who were booing the hell out of him. He was a popular clubhouse guy and for the most part, he went about his business quietly. The one time he spoke out was against former teammate Billy Wagner who had recently signed with the hated New Choke Mets. Pat called him a "rat". It was beautiful. Pat also had a knack for playing his best against those Mets and we all loved him for it. Sitting in left field two rows back, I was a douche towards Burrell for a while. He always took it and interacted with the fans well. I never thought I'd say this but I am going to miss him. Good luck Pat, you delivered a big hit when we needed it and you were a classy guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment